Minutes – August 14, 2017

Regular Meeting Minutes

Northern Saguache County Library District Board

August 14, 2017 at 4:45 PM

                                           Location: Saguache Public Library

Board members present: Debbie Westra, Chair; Michael Pacheco, Vice-Chair; Amy Garoutte, Treasurer; and Megan Riley. Other attendees: Sarah Koehn Frey, Library District Director; Lisa Cyriacks, NSCLD Bookkeeper, Suzanne McGregor, Baca Grande Library Branch Manager; Hillary Conroy, Friends of the Saguache Public Library President; and Burt Wadman.

 

  • Call to Order

Westra called the meeting to order at 4:44 PM.

 

  • Approval of Agenda

Westra suggested changes to the agenda, including postponing the MOU discussion and moving Wadman’s presentation to the end of the agenda. Pacheco moved to approve the amended agenda; Riley seconded; motion passed unanimously.

 

  • Assignments and Commitments Review

Koehn Frey indicated all Assignments and Commitments were completed, except she couldn’t register the library district for Amazon Smile. Pacheco suggested she do it under the umbrella of the Friends of the Library.

 

  • Approval of the Minutes from July 10, 2017 Regular Meeting

There were no additions or corrections. Pacheco moved to approve the minutes; Riley seconded; motion passed unanimously.

 

  • Advocacy Review

Westra will write September’s article, followed by Garoutte in October, Pacheco in November, and Koehn Frey will submit highlights from the year-end report for December.

 

  • Public Input

There was no public input.

 

  • Committee Reports

Financial Reports

  • Balance Sheet – no questions
  • Budget vs Actuals – Cyriacks checked into the higher county treasurer’s fee. It was changed from 1.5% to 3% by statute. The NSCLD budget committee will be sure to budget for this amount in 2018.
  • Review of Credit Card Statement – no questions
  • Approval of Check Register – no questions

Garoutte moved to approve transactions; Pacheco seconded; motion carried unanimously.

 

Friends of the Libraries

  • Crestone/Baca Friends of the Library report

No representatives were present to report.

  • Saguache Friends of the Library report

Conroy reported that the FOLs had not held a July meeting, but had a Root Beer Float sale at the Hollyhock Festival in late July. Conroy is planning a full book/bake/root beer float for the Saguache Fall Festival in late September.

 

  • Other Business
  • MOU with Friends of the Baca Grande Library
  • Auditor Discussion
    • Review RFP

Garoutte had a suggested addition to the MOU. Pacheco suggested we create a matrix to review proposals. Discussion turned to what evaluation criteria would be used, and there was agreement on the following 4: price; local audit group; special district experience; and the unmodified peer review report.

    • Establish Evaluation Committee to Review Proposals

Pacheco and Garoutte offered to be on the committee, which will also include Koehn Frey and Cyriacks.

  • Future Library Discussion
    • Tract 1 Planning Presentation

Wadman presented the planning work of the Tract 1 Working Group to date. The board expressed support and excitement for the work completed, and discussion turned to how to make the library a reality in the context of the grouping of different services. Wadman had several ideas, but the next steps depend upon the Town of Crestone.

    • Next steps

The Tract 1 Working Group will hold public input meetings in the next couple of months. Also during that time, Wadman will be presenting at several area organizations, and any support the NSCLD board can give would be appreciated.

 

  • Director Report

Koehn Frey had no additions to her report. Riley questioned whether she could add a comparison to the same month last year for the branch statistics. McGregor asked what the statistics were used for, and Pacheco explained it is simply for the board to see a snapshot of how the libraries are being used: it is NOT a comparison or competition between the two branches.

 

  • Other Discussion

Pacheco offered to teach some classes on how to build a computer for middle- and high-schoolers. He also asked about the possibility of doing a baby story time somewhere other than the Baca Grande library, and suggested the Cloud Station on Saturday mornings. Koehn Frey will check with Penny Bruce about this. It could mean a scheduling shift for 2 other employees, which must be taken into account.

 

  • Next Meeting Date & Time & Agenda items

The next meeting will take place Monday, September 11 at 4:45 at the Baca Grande Library.

 

 

  • Public Input

There was no public input.

 

  • Adjourn

Westra adjourned the meeting at 6:14 PM.

 

Assignments and Commitments: Cyriacks will update the RFP for auditors. Koehn Frey will send Cyriacks the audit recommendations she has received from other Colorado library directors. Cyriacks will send out the RFP. Koehn Frey will include last year’s monthly data on future director’s report for comparison. Koehn Frey and Penny Bruce will discuss the possibility of a baby story hour in the town of Crestone.